Last weekend, the tracks of Austin and Portimão hosted two of the most visible motorcycle racing championships in the world. While MotoGP was in the United States for another round, the WSBK was present in Portimão for the last European round of the championship.
According to worldsbk.com, a number of riders have spoken about the current spectacle of the World Superbike Championship in which Toprak Razgatlioglu, Jonathan Rea and Scott Redding are the protagonists of the 2021 season.
Fabio Quartararo said he is closely monitoring the whole situation on track and, as a colleague of the same brand, acknowledges that he is pushing Razgatlioglu:
- I watch him very closely. The last race was pretty fun. They both fell and the points are still there, so it will be a really fun end to the championship. Of course, from our side, we must support Toprak. During the last race in Portimao I saw a French friend, Loris [Baz], who made two podiums. I am and it will be really interesting to watch.
Brad Binder admits his Sundays are better when the Championship is in action:
- I love watching WorldSBK! It makes my Sundays so much better. When you are not on duty it is the best thing to do. It looks like a really good fight. Jonny with all his experience and Toprak is strong right now, he seems like a beast on the brakes and a tough guy to fight. This will continue to be interesting for sure. We’ll see how it ends.
For Valentino Rossi, the title seemed partially acquired, but the second race in Portimao brought greater uncertainty. The rider, who will retire from MotoGP at the end of this season, said he was unsure on which side the title could hang.
“For me it’s a big fight in WorldSBK. It’s one of the best fights of recent years, because you have two top riders, still present and very close [to each other]. It’s hard to say. Before the second race, I would have said Toprak, but now Jonny is 24 points behind, it’s much easier, ”he defended.
Jack Miller shared that he messaged Toprak Razgaltioglu and praised the Turk’s conduct on the R1. In addition, the Australian once again highlighted Scott Redding’s performance in the final laps.
“I actually messaged Toprak today saying, ‘Watch out buddy.’ It was unfortunate, it looked like a mechanical problem to him, but he rode phenomenally all year round. It’s great to see. Scott managed to take a few points. Everything is overflowing very quickly, it will be interesting to see the last races, ”he said.
Franco Morbidelli thinks Toprak Razgatlioglu could end Jonathan Rea’s dominance:
- “It’s a very open fight between Toprak and Jonny. Both are amazing drivers and fight hard for this championship. I think Toprak is fortunate enough to win, but he’ll have to do a really good job. I wish them both good luck.
Francesco Bagnaia believes this fight will always be good to watch until a champion is found:
- It will be good to see until the end. It’s always good to see a good battle without so many points between the two leaders.
Pol Espargaró praises the attitude of the riders in the fight for the championship. For the Spaniard, it doesn’t matter what category, as long as the fights are polite and exciting:
- It’s good to see the races. They are polite to each other, but they run hard with each other. I like to see races like this. I don’t care if it’s MotoGP or WorldSBK. They give people a good show and it’s nice. I’ll keep an eye on this.