Musselburgh man stabbed friend 18 times and burned his body after motorcycle crash


Let us know what you think and join the conversation at the bottom of this article.

Jordan Dickson left 41-year-old Craig Sneddon with at least 18 injuries after a brutal knife attack on January 17 of this year.

The 25-year-old then fled the scene – but later confessed to a woman that he left the father of a child “burned”.

Register to our daily newsletter

Newsletter cut through the noise

Horrible death: Craig Sneddon was stabbed and set on fire.

A couple walking their dog later that morning made the grim discovery of Craig’s charred remains under Dickson’s burning bicycle on Fordel Path in Dalkeith, Midlothian.

Dickson – who was under curfew at the time – has now been jailed for at least 19 years after pleading guilty to murder in Glasgow’s High Court.

The thug had visited Craig’s home in Wallyford, East Lothian the night before the murder.

In the early hours of the morning, the couple were spotted riding Dickson’s Kawasaki bike.

They finally met at Fordel Path shortly after 12:30 a.m.

Prosecutor Eric Robertson then told the court: “There are no eyewitnesses to what happened there, but Jordan Dickson accepts that while he had assaulted Craig Sneddon in the terms detailed in the ‘charge.”

The indictment stated that Dickson murdered his friend by repeatedly hitting him with a knife and then setting his body on fire.

Dickson phoned a cab to pick him up about a mile from the stage to take him and he drove to his home in Musselburgh, East Lothian.

He then spoke to a number of people within hours.

This included telling his sister Bianca that he had “fought” with Craig and “said something about a bicycle.”

At around 4:30 am, he tells a friend: “I need help. I can’t talk on the phone.

Dickson added to this man that there would have been a confrontation between him and Craig.

Mr Robertson said: “He told the man that after stabbing Craig Sneddon in the neck he poured gasoline on him, put the motorbike on it and set him on fire.”

Dickson then went to the home of a friend of his other sister’s shouting that he was “in trouble” and that he had “killed someone”.

“She didn’t believe him… he said he had ‘burned the guy’. He said he was referring to Craig Sneddon.”

Dickson then boarded a bus in Wallyford and confessed to a passenger: “I’m going to end the murder.”

Craig’s body was discovered the next morning by a walking couple who noticed an increase in smoke and a burning smell.

He was so badly burned that DNA was used for formal identification after he went missing.

Mr Robertson said he suffered at least 18 injuries to his face, head and neck.

Pathologists said they could “not totally rule out” the possibility of further stab wounds.

After being initially detained the next day, Dickson told police, “I don’t understand. No comment.”

Lady Stacey sentenced Dickson to life.

She told him, “What you did was mean and cruel. After what happened, you didn’t do anything to report or try to get help.

“You haven’t done anything but set his body on fire. Craig Sneddon’s family will find this extremely difficult to deal with.”

A message from the editor:

Thank you for reading this article. We depend on your support more than ever, as the change in consumption habits caused by the coronavirus is having an impact on our advertisers.

If you haven’t already, consider supporting our trusted and verified journalism by purchasing a digital subscription.


About Todd Wurtsbach

Check Also

Funeral date announced for Cumbria-based motorcycling champion Keith Farmer

Keith Farmer A funeral date has been announced for British motorcycling champion Keith Farmer, based …